Last week I someone pinned THIS. I thought it was so cute, until I saw the price tag. I decided that I should try and make my own.
I knew the hardest part of this wreath would be to find an owl. The city I live in is pretty limited in craft supplies and I knew I probably wouldn't be able to find exactly what I wanted. I also knew I wanted to use my Amazon Prime account so I could get it quickly and not pay for shipping. Success! I found it HERE! And because I had some gift certificates built up in my account it cost me $0.00 :)
|Cedric the 'Guardian' owl|
I found a 14" Styrofoam wreath at Hobby Lobby--couldn't find a 12" but I like the larger size anyway. I also found some variegated yarn at Hobby Lobby.
I wrapped the yarn around the wreath and just tied the ends in a knot at the beginning and the end and tucked it under the strands of yarn.
|Tip: hold the wreath on it's end between your legs and wrap the yarn around and around and around.....don't get dizzy.|
I rummaged through my craft closet and sure enough I had a stack of felt including dark brown, brown, light brown, and dark green. But I had no orange which I really wanted to include. Luckily I found some orange and white fleece and tried making flowers with it using the same method as the felt flowers and it worked! In a way it was almost easier to use the fleece because I could stretch the material a little to form the flower the way I wanted to.
The Etsy wreath also had some loopy orange flowers but I had no idea how to make them so instead I cut a circle of dark brown felt and cut strips around the edge, then I folded it in half to make a semi-circle, added some glue at the bottom where it was not cut then started at one edge and rolled the semi-circle to create a little pom-pom. You can see it a little bit in this picture:
|felt and fleece flowers|
Next I got out my handy dandy low temperature mini glue gun and started gluing the flowers on the wreath starting on the left hand side and working my way down to the bottom.
Lastly I added the owl by gluing it's foot to the wreath (the feet were set wide apart and only one would stand on the wreath). Note: when I took the owl out of the package it had about 4 inches of wire sticking out of it's little feet. I couldn't figure out how to attach the wire to the wreath so I just used wire cutters and cut it off.
That's it! I'm not sure how long it took me to make it because I worked on it on and off for about 1/2 the day in between doing laundry, taking dinner to a sick friend, making cookies for my daughter marching band practice etc etc. If I had all the supplies ready and time to devote just to the wreath I think it could be finished in just a few hours.
Here's the finished product! I would have added more flowers but I was running out of felt. I think Cedric looks quite majestic sitting on his perch guarding our home.